Wildtronics Pro Mini Parabolic
*Above photo shown with our clear, 100% polycarbonate dish. The Mini Black Ops Parabolic Dish is also available for less cost.
** Use omnidirectional microphones that are less than 26mm in diameter. Cardioid microphones will only work well if the side vents are sealed, see manual for details.
Super lightweight, parabolic mic can use almost any microphone. Fantastic for on camera use!
The available Pro Mini Stereo Kit includes 2 Pro Minis with a FREE Mini Stereo Bar, starting at $358.
The Wildtronics Pro Mini Parabolic is a great way to quickly boost the range of microphones to capture more distant subjects. The Wildtronics Pro Mini Parabolic is the lightest, smallest, lowest cost parabolic kit we offer. The small size, light weight, and wider polar angle make it perfect for many field recording applications, such as interviews, news gathering, nature recording, and more. It is so light that you can even mount it directly on a camera hotshoe. This 11.5 inch parabolic kit will roughly increase the range of your standard microphone by 5 times. Just add your own microphone or one of our Micro Mic Series microphones for a complete mini parabolic microphone. Check our line of accessories available for the Pro Mini Parabolic, such as: adapters, bars, swivels, cables, and more.
- Boost your microphone for dramatically improved range and isolation. Parabolic reflectors provide gain, so you can reach subjects that are outside the range of other microphones, including shotgun microphones.
- Fits most omnidirectional microphones less than 26mm in diameter. We recommend using omnidirectional microphones for best results. You can use cardioid microphones, if you use the included seal to cover the vents on the side of the microphone. The kit comes with adapters for 19-26mm microphones and most lavalier microphones.
- Critically optimized small parabolic reflector specifically designed for great sound. Normally, small parabolic systems have very poor low frequency response and an overly peaked high frequency response, causing poor performance with human voice. Wildtronics designed the curvature, size, and focal point of the parabola, plus pointed the microphone outward to minimize low frequency loss, resulting in great sound. This means that even your voice recordings will sound surprisingly well.
- Your choice of two, 11.5-inch, truly parabolic reflectors. Choose between the very flexible, 0.030-inch thick, durable, clear 100% polycarbonate reflector, or the lower cost, black ABS, paintable, Mini Black Ops reflector.
- Ultra lightweight. Total weight, without microphone, is just under 7 ounces. Perfect for effortless hand held use or mounting on a camera hot-shoe, with an available adapter.
- Ideal for use as a stereo pair parabolic microphone. Due to the small size, light weight, and wider polar angle, it is now practical to make true parabolic stereo recordings. You can point the two parabolic reflectors independently or maintain a fixed angle. Our Mini Stereo Bar is specifically designed to hold two Pro Minis in a superbly balanced combination with a total weight of just over a pound.
- Handle and hub are machined from high strength, industrial nylon for lifetime durability.
- Handle base has metal 1/4-20 threads for easy tripod/hotshoe mounting.
- Accessory bar mount provision. The accessory mount will allow you to mount our Mini-Accessory Bar directly to the handle. The Mini-Accessory Bar can hold a small, hand-held recorder for quick easy use with just one short cable to your microphone.
- Wildtronics Micro Mic series microphones fit perfectly. The Micro Mic series are small, high performance microphones with reasonable prices.
- Low cost alternative to full sized parabolic reflectors. The Pro Mini is great for less demanding applications where light weight, size, and cost are more important.
Read our Parabolic Microphone Selection Guide for short descriptions and a comparison table of all Wildtronics products.
The Wildtronics Pro Mini Parabolic will transform an omnidirectional, or properly prepared cardioid, microphone into a shotgun-like microphone, but with better isolation and range. With our expertise in parabolic microphone physics, we critically designed the Pro Mini Parabolic reflector for the best sound and range possible from a small parabolic system. The Pro Mini Parabolic is small and light enough to fit in your equipment case, on a camera hotshoe mount, and can eliminate the need to buy an expensive shotgun microphone. Using two Pro Mini Parabolics, in a stereo configuration, finally makes stereo parabolic systems functional and very practical. Our Mini Stereo Bar, free with the purchase of a Pro Mini Stereo Kit, allows you to mount two Pro Minis, cameras, recorders, swivels, background mics, with or without a tripod for fantastic versatility.
Below are a few audio samples taken using the Pro Mini Parabolic.
Below is a sample video made with a Wildtronics Pro Mini Parabolic Kit, using an Audio Technica AT4022 microphone, and a DSLR camera with around a 600mm lens, from about 20 feet away.
Below is a sample video made with a Wildtronics Pro Mini Parabolic Kit, using a Wildtronics Micro Mic PIP Microphone, and a DSLR camera with a 1100mm lens, from 60 feet away.
The Wildtronics Pro Mini Parabolic has professional features, and a low cost for those on a budget. The super lightweight construction fits most cylindrical, omnidirectional microphones. We recommend using omnidirectional microphones for best results, but you can use cardioid microphones if you use the included seal to cover the vents on the side of the microphone. The kit comes with adapters to fit 19-26mm diameter microphones. Also included is a lavalier microphone adapter– however, lavalier mics are not recommended for low noise applications. A machined nylon hub and handle are used for lifetime durability. With the smaller 11.5 inch size and fewer parts, come considerable cost and weight savings.
Parabolic reflectors provide gain and directivity, so you can reach subjects that are outside the range of other microphones, including shotgun microphones. Normally, small parabolic systems have very poor low frequency response and an overly peaked high frequency response, causing poor performance with human voice. With our expertise in parabolic physics, Wildtronics custom designed the curvature, size, and focal point of the parabola, plus pointed the microphone outward to minimize low frequency loss, resulting in great sound. Without the loss of low frequency energy, even voice recordings sound surprisingly well. The highly accurate paraboloid and construction assure a precise focus for maximum gain. The parabolic reflector is permanently attached, but may be removed, with tools, if service or change of reflectors are needed.
The Wildtronics Pro Mini Parabolic is ultra lightweight at just under 7 ounces. You can barely tell you are holding it in your hand. It is also small and light enough to mount on a camera hotshoe with an available Hot Shoe Adapter with/without a swivel joint. The handle base has metal 1/4-20 threads for tripod or hotshoe mounting. The accessory mount provision will allow the mounting of our Mini Accessory Bar directly to the handle. The Mini-Accessory Bar can hold a small, hand-held recorder for quick easy use with just one short cable to your microphone.
Stereo parabolic microphones are often a useful concept, but have traditionally only worked for very limited conditions, since they have fixed narrow angles. Due to its small size, lightweight, and wider polar angle, two separate Pro Mini Parabolics now make true parabolic stereo recording practical. You can point the two parabolic reflectors independently at two specific subjects for a left and right image, or just turn the dishes 10-60 degrees apart for general stereo use. You can also point both Pro Minis at a single subject to further boost the gain.
Our Mini Stereo Bar is specifically designed to hold two Pro Minis in a superbly balanced combination with a total weight of just over a pound. This Stereo Bar also allows many combinations of mounting a camera, recorders, and additional microphones with/without a tripod. We offer additional accessories for the Mini-Stereo Bar such as a quick release camera mount, ball swivel mounts for freedom of angular position, and a dual mono to stereo 3.5mm Y cable. The Mini Stereo Bar makes a great, portable run-and-gun recording or video production tool. The Pro Mini Stereo Kit includes 2 Pro Minis with a FREE Mini Stereo Bar.
So, how well will an 11.5 inch dish work compared to our full-sized 22-inch version? A larger, properly made system will always perform better, and you would not want anything smaller than about 11 inches. Here is a quick comparison to our 22-inch Professional Parabolic Microphone models: Our Pro 22-inch models have an exceptional 10dBA noise floor microphone built-in, built-in booster plate technology that further increases gain by several dB, improves bass response, improves off-angle pickup rejection, has better handling noise isolation, is equipped with both 3.5mm and XLR connectors, has the ability to use phantom power or the internal battery, and has optional variable gain, low-noise amplifiers and stereo background mic options as well. The lower noise and these other improvements, in the Pro 22-inch models, allow them to obtain roughly twice the range, compared to other full size parabolic mic systems of similar size. If you need the ultimate in a parabolic system, the 22-inch Pro models should be your first choice. The Pro Mini has about half the gain, twice the polar response angle, and a gain curve that begins at twice the frequency. The overall result, under similar conditions with with a similar 10dBA, low noise mic, the Pro Mini has about 2-4 times less range than the 22-inch Pro models. The Pro Mini is better suited for less demanding applications where light weight and size are more important. The Pro Mini will still give you a considerable advantage in range (approximately 5 times) over other types of microphones. The smaller Pro Mini can be advantageous when size, weight, wider angle of pickup, or stereo use are important to you.
Some of the Wildtronics Performance Series Microphones fit perfectly into the Pro Mini Parabolic with a preset focus point. Currently the Amplified Omni Microphone and Micro-Mic PIP are available with a 3.5mm output connector. The Amplified Omni Microphone is a 14dBA noise floor microphone that includes buit-in preamps, so you can have the benifits of being able to connect a headphone directly to the microphone and be able to use almost any recording device, even inexpensive recorders, to produce great, low noise recordings. The Wildtronics Micro-Mic PIP is available for those who need a good, inexpensive, low noise, microphone.
Why do we use high strength, high temperature nylon, ABS, and polycarbonate plastic, and not PVC and PETG, as found in competing units? Temperatures inside vehicles can reach 185 degrees F, per SAE specifications for automotive interiors. PVC, PETG, and other lower temperature plastics will either permanently deform or soften enough to cause assembly and dis-assembly problems. You will most likely store your microphone under these conditions once and while. PETG, used in some competing dishes, will easily deform at 160 degrees F, meaning they will permanently, severely distort inside a vehicle on a hot Summer day. The higher performing plastics that Wildtronics uses cost more, but result in a product you can depend on for years. There is no better performing plastic for clear parabolic dishes than 100% polycarbonate, that's why we use it.
Wildtronics Mini Stereo Bar Instructions download.